Thursday, April 3, 2014

10 Reasons to Get Your Workout in Early


Ok let's set a couple things straight here... I am a mom of two little kids and I am NOT a morning person. I've heard all about the benefits of waking up early to do your workout, but I could never escape the "sleep-deprived-mom" mentality. I mean, SURELY that extra hour of sleep in the morning was better for me than waking up to an alarm and working out. Right? 

Well, I decided to give it a shot this morning. I set my alarm for 5:27 AM and when it went off... I was tired. I didn't want to get up and it was SO tempting to just fall back asleep. BUT, I repeated this to myself over and over and over and over again: I'M UP! I'M UP! I'M UP! I'M UP!!!! 

Literally. Over and over. It took me a couple minutes, but I got out of bed and next thing I know I was at the path at the park by 5:45 doing my workout. Dawn was just starting to... dawn... when I was finishing my 4 miles and headed home so my husband could go to work. 

I felt great! Actually, this was only a couple hours ago now, so I can say that I FEEL great. Present tense. :) 

I am normally a zombie and pretty cranky for the first hour or so in the mornings- at least, according to my husband. I don't think I'm that bad. But this morning I was in the kitchen preparing food and coffee before he came in. This is VERY different from the norm in our house. I can laugh at it now, but the contrast is quite obvious. I am AWAKE. I feel energized. I feel inspired. I feel ready to tackle the day with my children. BRING IT ON, THURSDAY APRIL 3rd! 

Who wouldn't want that kind of energy and motivation EVERY DAY?? My guess is no one. 



Ok- here we go with
10 Reasons Why You Should Get Your Booty Out Of Bed & Workout in the Morning:

1. Over 90% of people who exercise CONSISTENTLY, exercise in the morning. If you're wanting to make exercising a habit, odds are in your favor if you get it done in the AM.

2. Exercising early in the morning kick starts your metabolism so you burn more calories all day long!

3. Research shows that exercise increases mental acuity and productivity lasting four to ten hours! Yes please!!

4. Exercise first thing ensures that something else won't crowd out your workout. We all know days get busy and exercising typically gets the boot when in a crunch. 

5. When you exercise in the morning you'll be ENERGIZED for the day! 

6. Many people find that morning exercise helps regulate their appetite for the day. They find they aren't as hungry and that they make better food choices. It gets your mind and attitude more focused on being healthy.

7. If you exercise at about the same time every morning, and ideally wake-up at about the same time regularly, your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that. How cool is THAT! A couple of hours BEFORE you wake up, your body begins to prepare for waking and exercise because it "knows" it's about to happen. How does it know this?? Because you do it on a regular basis and have taught your body what to expect.

8. For many people, their morning workout becomes something they look forward to. It's "me time." 

9. Getting up 30-60 minutes earlier so that you can exercise is a solution to the "I don't have time" problem.  Anyone can get up earlier to workout Also, research has demonstrated that people who exercise on a regular basis have a higher quality
of sleep and thus require less sleep!

10. You'll feel AMAZING! Just do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment